Our little family

Our little family

Monday, August 8, 2011

Nothings gonna stop us now!!!

   So, my last post "Decisions Decisions" talked a lot about the decision we were trying to make as far as moving to New York or not. Many of you already know, we took that step and we moved to Rochester, NY! So far things have been far from easy since arriving.
   I thought I had everything figured out from the cost of moving here, to finding a place to live, to Greg having his job here and waiting for him. I was not as accurate on my planning as I thought. With that being said, a lot of it was stuff that was unexpected...
1. When we got here to our new apartment it was a lot smaller than we had anticipated. It is only the 2 of us though so not a huge deal. One thing we were not expecting was the vast amount of water that was on the bedroom floor. WHAT??!!?!?! I tried to suck it up with the steam cleaner thinking the carpets were still just wet from being cleaned, but that didn't help at all. So, we called maintenance. Turns out Water from outside the building was leaking through the foundation and seeping into our apartment. : (  We were told to stay in another apartment for a couple of days while they dried out the floor and put in new carpet. After a couple of days when that ordeal was done we thougth all would be well from here...WRONG! Both the kitchen and bathroom sinks were leaking and there was mold growing in the bedroom from the moisture!! Long story short that was fixed and taken care of. Now hopfully nothing else will go wrong here (knock on wood).
2. After getting all of our stuff in the apartment we went to Target to get Greg's schedule as he was supposed to begin work Monday (today). To our suprise Target JUST made his transfer official and he wont be on the schedule for another 2 weeks!!! Luckily they told him he is going ot be on call for the next two weeks and he actually did work today! They have given him 32 hours this week and hopfully will have the same or more next week.
3. I have been franticlly looking for a job!! I feel like as of now (1 week after we've moved in) I have had a million and 1 interviews (ok, so its only been 3, and after tomorrow will be 5, but still). The first interview I did I was actually offered the job! It was at a little store in the mall called Vanity. Close to home and a job, I should jump at the opportunity right?!?! Well, they were only willing to give me 1 shift every other week AND I would have to wear their clothes everytime I worked, lets face it, they are kind of on the pricy side. So I turned it down. The other jobs are for somethings I would much rather do anyway, WORKING WITH KIDS!!! I have had one interview to be a preschool teacher at a daycare, as is another interview for another preschool tomorrow. I had an interview with the YMCA last week, and it actually sounds pretty promising!! Its for a site coordinator position. I would basiclly be in charge of setting up activities for kids to do when they are not in school. I wont really find anything out about that until next week. The last one is for a music intstructor position at a preschool!! I am actaully really excited about this interview!!! Wish me luck!!
4. One thing about moving here was how close we are to a temple!! The Palmyra, NY temple is only about 20 ish min away and I was so excited to be able to attend the temple more than once a month! We have run into some issues though. When it comes to temple clothes Greg and I usually rent as we can't afford to buy our own yet. This temple doesn't have a clothing distribution!! The next closest temple is in Canada and I don't have a passport. BUMMER!!!
5. Just in general $$ is tight. I never thought it would be easy but when your counting your change in order to buy toilet paper you know things are tight! We are staying positive and we know that once Greg starts getting hours and I get a job we will be ok. For the next couple of months we are watching our spending A LOT!!! I am happy to report we will be able to buy toilet paper and peanut butter tomorrow with our change!! : )
I hope to keep up with this a lot better, especially now that we live so far away from family and friends!! I am confident that in the next couple of months things will begin to look up! Until then please keep us in your prayers!!

1 comment:

  1. We just moved out of state too... there are so many unexpected costs involved! You'll be ok and so will we. Post pictures of your new home? Also, can you talk to your bishop about the temple clothes situation?

    ReplyDelete